Monday, October 1, 2007

Global Positioning

For Hanukkah last year, my parents bought me GPS. This little device is ingenius. You plug in your starting position, your final destination, and your preferred route of travel (quickest, least highways, most highways, least miles), and suddenly you have your map plotted out for you. But what I like most about it is what it does if you make a wrong turn. It recalculates. The screen goes clear except for the electronic hour glass, and a few moments later...you've got a new route. Sometimes these updated directions only say--in automated computer-speak--turn around. But, in other cases, it repopulates a whole new route. Granted GPS doesn't have the emotional capacity of a human (although it does talk to me), but I am amazed with its lack of frustration over making a mistake. No time for grievances....just change course.
That's hard for me (because I do have the emotional capacity of a person. Maybe 2 people). When I make a mistake, a wrong turn, go left instead of straight, right instead of reverse, I blame myself. I focus on what went wrong, not how to fix it. Yes, there is a time for self-reflection, but at the moment, it's usually better to just change with the mistake. If it means rewriting, editing a bit more carefully, getting another source, just do it. Recalculate.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Brilliant Posting!!!