Monday, March 2, 2009

Snowfall

The weather forecasters said it would happen, but I didn't believe them. Last night was mere flurries, more ice than snow itself. But nothing was accumulating on the streets. When the flakes fell on the pavement, they simply vanished. Something changed overnight, because when I woke up and peered out the window, the streets and cars outside were blanketed in soft white snow. Flakes were (are) still falling from the sky. Again, I think about how snow follows me. Yesterday was my birthday, and just as with my birth and Bat Mitzvah, I was greeted with snow. Last night I was annoyed with the snow, frustrated that it would make all the errands I have to do today more difficult. But as I was going to sleep, I closed my eyes and saw snowfall. The flakes dropping diagonally with the wind had a soothing effect on me, as I drifted into sleep another year older. I was content with the falling of the snow, happy it was falling now and not in three months.

No comments: