Monday, August 27, 2007

What's Wrong with Crocs?

Watching a tivoed Bill Maher episode over the weekend echoed a sentiment that I had heard all summer: people hate crocs. And, for a signficant segment of the people I've observed, they hate them for aesthetic reasons. They are ugly with a capital U. Fine, don't like a shoe brand, but are crocs really deserving of the continual visceral reaction they elicit? I've seen people take actual offense when they see someone else sporting this plastic foot covering. I am not here to defend them--I don't know if I'd wear the traditional style, although I do proudly own the Cleo version--but to ask, is this hatred really worth it? This led me to think of other painful and agonizing fashion choices that people have made over the years. The first that came to mind was tapered jeans (they still exist, if you can find them.) Or, to be more general, tapered pants of all shapes and size. Are crocs THAT bad? If you can honestly say yes, then at least I can see how much it pains you. If not, leave crocs alone.

No comments: