Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hair, Schmair

I am one of those people who wants to have nice hair. I will go out, spend money on highlights, stylish dos, and trendy creams only to tie it up in a messy bun half-way through the day. It's my disheveled, shabby chic look...one I could probably create without all the time, money, and frustration. I've been doing this forever. I remember in 10th grade, in the height of Rachel Green's envied locks, I too went for the layered look. Except no one ever knew, because I'd always pin it up. Fast forward six years, and after a few weeks of my study abroad sojourn in Prague, I went to a Czech stylist and chopped off my thick tresses. I had the boyish, no-hanging hair look for only that semester, but even (despite compliments on the new look from the most sought after guy in the program) then I wore head bands and scarves to cover it up. The highlights are a relatively new thing--inspired by at the tender age of 27, I have a few of those terrible things: gray hairs. Some peers with premature gray hair (really, I am too young to be 'of age' for grays) are brave enough to let it show. Not me. The blond streaks cover up the gray, and even though sometimes they get wrapped into a bun or ponytail, at least they come through...Maybe I am making progress?

No comments: