Monday, September 3, 2007

A Fantasy Come True

2007 has been many firsts. Late last night, I had yet another new adventure: my first ever fantasy football draft. That's right, for the 2007 NFL football season, I will watch my players from teams throughout the leagues run, catch, throw, block, kick and do whatever else they do that can earn me points. Honestly, I don't understand it completely...I enlisted the help of my more sports-inclined boyfriend to sort out the players for the automated draft (although I needed no assistance in coming up with my name, football yogis)...it's funny, sort of, that I am drawn to the excitement of football, the thrill of competition, the mainstream nature of this professional sport, and still swear by my namaste. One time, a yoga teacher asked me what I was doing for New Year's Day--there was a special class she wanted me to go to--and I said I was heading to Philly with my brother to see the Eagles-Redskins game. She looked a little confused. I have to remember that being open-minded means being open and aware of all different parts of yourself and trying to see how they connect together. In football, the uncertain is what's certain...there are only 17 weeks, with each team on the field for 16 games. Anything can happen. In yoga, I like to think anything can happen, also, although it may be more subtle. Perhaps my tree balancing pose will feel a little more secure, or my hamstrings will loosen up a little more in my forward fold. Even though I can be afraid of change, I think deep down it entices me...which is the reason I was so keen on signing up for fantasy this year, not only to see how the unpredictable season unfolds, but to find out if I too could be a winner.

No comments: