Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I Dream of Sleep

As I walked to work this morning, my eyes are bleary from lack of shuteye and my tongue is begging for a sip of coffee. My pace is slow and staying awake for the whole day seems like a daunting task. Why do I do this to myself? Fatigue is a dull ache, a nagging cramp that will only be satiated with a nice long sleep. I get to work, log on to my computer, make myself a single cup of French Vanilla coffee with lots of soy creamer and a mere touch of sugar, and begin to think about the day in front of me. I start to wake up. I think about the work, the projects, and motivation kicks in. But my mind will occasionally drift, away back to my bed where I arose too early this morning. Where I didn't creep into until almost midnight last night. Sleep is one of those things that I undervalue. If I am juggling work, friends, exercise, household stuff, guess which goes? My nighttime rest. Sure, I do make an effort to change into my PJs and crawl into bed early, but if something comes up, that is the one thing I sacrifice without a second thought. Only to think about it again and again the next day, when one cup of coffee turns into two. So, now, I say to sleep--I won't take you for granted anymore. I know how necessary you are. I'll make a strong attempt at prioritizing YOU first, so I won't miss you all the next day!

No comments: