Friday, October 3, 2008

Beauty's Only Skin Deep, Right?

Honesty time: I am poring over my skin these days. Each day in the mirror, as I squirt out a bit of face wash and begin to work it into a lather, I take note of my skin. Where are the red blemishes I must conquer--first with soap, then acne cream, then--after everything is fully absorbed--foundation make-up? I'll search for the patchy dry spots and rub moisturizing cream all over them. Vanity, I know, isn't attractive. But it's somewhat unavoidable. And when your wedding day is nearing--a day where you pay a lot of money for good photographs and where your friends, family, and that occassional random relative no one remembered inviting come to watch YOU--you pay a bit more attention. But it's more than that...Not only is the bride looked at constantly on her wedding day--both live and in pictures for the rest of her life--but the bride is SUPPOSED to look stunning. It's part of the story. Part of the fairy tale romance with the woman is always beautiful. Do I sound cynical? I guess I am a bit...A woman has the right to not look her best (whatever that means...beauty is subjective anyway), even on her wedding day. But even as I write this, I don't want to look bad. I want the creamy skin and the styled hair and the detailed accessories. And even 8 months out, I am beginning to buy more creams and take closer note of my skin. Does that make my anti-feminist? I don't think so; I have the choice to look nice too, ya know. But does it make me a bit vain: maybe a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, beauty is only skin deep.