Monday, October 6, 2008

My Homework

So, after the engagement party, I've been on a bit of a wedding planning lull. Instead, I traveled to suburban Connecticut for an early autumn wedding; greeted the Jewish New Year with family, friends, and food; and cheered as the Redskins carved their way to a 4-1 start. My eyes moved away from the bridal magazines and to Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, a poetic memoir of a young women growing up in what was then Rhodesia. (highly recommend it). But just as gradually as the colder days are usurping the summer heat, I'm getting back in planning mode. In preparation for a meeting with a florist in two weeks, I've begun thinking colors. With wedding attendants in black attire, I'm imagining soft hues. Light shades. I spent some part of last night flipping again through the shiny magazines, dog earring bouquets I thought looked nice. Pale yellow flowers got my attention. Lilac and other purple relatives did too. So did a blackberry-flavored assortment. (But I'm not sure if it's just because I really like blackberries...or the idea of fruit in a traditionally flower-only decoration). Colors aren't as simple as I thought. If you care about consistency (which I do, to some degree), domino-effect type questions squirt up. Should the color of the flowers match the wedding stationery, as one guide book calls the Save-the-Date, wedding invitation, and thank-you cards? The wedding Web site? The cake (which is another thing I'm doing my research on now...)? You get the point: Colors are key.

3 comments:

sasha said...

i have to say every so often i read your blog. it's quite interesting to see into the mind of a bride. i shoot weddings sometimes and i always wonder how much thought goes into them ...

anyway ... suggestion on the flowers ... i would see what is in season around your wedding. i should help alleviate some costs and perhaps help you narrow down color and type of flower. black goes with anything - so i say pick a flower/color scheme that goes with you and your dress and go from there.

:)

Anonymous said...

what about burgundy and gold??

Anonymous said...

i love the new picture of you and Dan :)