Monday, February 23, 2009

Perfection's Overrated!

When I was younger and learning to needlepoint on a small netted canvas with a pattern of a flower, I was judicious about making sure my yellow stitches matched up with the yellow petal painted on the fabric. If my yellow yarn ventured outside of the petal's lines, I quickly undid the stitch. My grandmother, who was teaching me, encouraged me not to worry if I didn't follow the pattern exactly. Any mistakes I made, she said, would make my needlepoint truly my own. I think about that story often as we plan our wedding. A perfect wedding is depicted in the movies and in the wedding magazines. But with so many details juggling in the air, perfection seems unattainable. And honestly, mistakes can be underrated. Like the mistaken stitches on the needlepoint, little problems can make a special day unique. At my Bat Mitzvah, Washington, D.C. was hit with a massive snow storm. Whiteness covered the city for a week. Flights were cancelled. Roads were impassible. Guests were unable to attend. Chairs sat empty. The band couldn't play, so we brought in a boom box (I think that's what they were called then) and my 17-year old friend with good taste in music filled in as DJ. In some ways, it would have been better without the snow, with the band and missing guests. But it's more memorable, more unique this way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is overrated!
And, you'll have no snow to worry about for this big event.

Sometime things that go wrong are good things in disguise. The one thing that went wrong on our wedding day is that I mis-scheduled the professional make-up appointments somehow, and there wasn't enough time for us to get it done. I discovered this two days before, decided to cancel all the makeup appointments. I went and got a free makeover at the Clinique counter, and bought new makeup for myself. It was a blessing that it all happened. I saved lots of money by not paying a make-up artist, and my make-up looked more natural, like me vs. the makeup artist's interpretation.