Sunday, September 7, 2008

Registration Exhilaration

On a wet, rainy Saturday afternoon, I found myself inside a department store, debating between square and round griddles and other such conundrums. Eyes intently pealed, I was armed and ready--at a moment's notice--to aim the scanner at a certain target. When I would press the yellow button, the bright red scanning light would make contact with the bar code. A beeping sound would chirp when the scanner successfully uploaded the item's information onto our online registration. Whenever I heard that noise, I squealed. Finding each item and adding it to the registry has a sense of satisfaction. A decision made. I have to admit: in my three in-store registering sessions, plus a few more Internet browses, I've gotten quite the hang of it. Five months ago, I couldn't have named all the different pots and pans. Now I can describe the difference between nonstick, stainless steel, copper plated, and full out copper. After looking at a few types of napkin rings on my last venture, I've been noticing them everywhere...I'm sure they existed before, but my untrained eye couldn't pick them up.
***
Registering is creating a giant wishlist. It's practical--I often head to other people's when I am buying gifts. The online component makes it easier for both giver and recipient. It's also fun to roam around the store, choosing between different plates and picture frames. But as I was registering and in looking back on it today, I have a sense of nostalgia. Not for another event in which I registered, because there is no such event, but for when I was a young child and just the idea of presents was exhilarating. I remember, eagerly waiting to rip off multi-colored wrapping paper and see what gifts lay inside. The waiting period would start weeks, sometimes even months before, wondering what my parents would surprise me with. That time was pure anticipation, as I would try to guess what presents I would get. Registering has a more grown-up feel, not only the gifts themselves (I wasn't too into copper plated pots as a child), but the process of picking the presents. Both approaches are fun. But as I write this now, remembering that excitement of gifts as a child, a smile spreads across my face. A childish grin.

No comments: