Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Snapshot of the Crazy Cousins


At our engagement party, I heard my dad yelling for me to come downstairs. I was fixing my hair and reapplying some lip gloss when he announced it's time for the cousins' picture. And so, I raced down stairs to join the ranks of the cousins, who were already assorted in age order. Luckily, it was easy for me to fit in. I am the oldest.

***

This cousins' photo began probably 15 years ago, when my six cousins, brother, and me--in chronological order from the date of our births--affixed ourselves on a sofa and smiled for a series of cameras, each held by an adoring aunt or grandmother. I was around 13, and my youngest cousin was 4. Over the years, relatives snapped a few other pictures of us eight cousins squeezed onto a couch (finding a seat got progressively harder to do as we got older). Even more photos survive of us at various stages of childhood, running through the Bethany Beach waves or eating creamy Vanilla Fudge at Candy Kitchen. It's been a while since the eight of us were all together. First off, Bethany Beach has gotten way too built up. The ocean waves are ridiculously overcrowded. Although it's probably more because each of us is searching, journeying, dreaming, and studying, and those activities usually involve some geographic dispersion. But it's nice that at times like an engagement party, all of us can find our place in the chronological line, ready to be photographed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful group! Love you all!
KKL

Anonymous said...

I agree, it is a beautiful group of cousins who are friends also.
SLF

Anonymous said...

am i yawning???

Anonymous said...

What a terrible picture. We were so much cuter 15 years ago.

Anonymous said...

bc you were mark rypien

Anonymous said...

Bride - I love love love the photo. Ty just taught me facebook. Picture's priceless.

Mar