Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Recession Wedding

Every morning, I get dressed while listening to NPR's market report. As I pick what sweater to wear and apply mascara and foundation, I hear about the job losses and auto industry bailout and sacrifices people are making in these difficult economic times. When I think about our wedding in the context of this global recession, it puts the choices about cakes and bands into better perspective. Sometimes I feel guilty having a nice wedding when people nationwide are worried where their next paycheck is coming from. It's somewhat illogical--if I cut back on the dessert or music, our nation's fiscal problems won't be solved and everyone's 401Ks won't reverse their steep downward spiral. But I keep coming back to a thought I've had over the last few months--having a beautiful wedding is a gift, something to be grateful for, something to appreciate and not take for granted. Sometimes when I talk to potential vendors, I get annoyed. They all make me feel like I NEED to buy this or have that--otherwise my wedding won't be complete. I feel cheap if I don't succomb to their suggestions, and a spend thrift if I do. But then I think again--these vendors, too, are a product of our economic slump and are also hoping to get a few extra bucks through my business.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. We're getting married this summer and I feel guily and panicked at the same time. I feel guilty that I'm having this big wedding (actually, we're having two weddings because my fiance is European and it's cheaper for us to have a small reception there than fly his family over here). And, I feel guilty that some people I know are losing their jobs and I'm going ahead with my wedding plans. I also feel panicked that I could lose my job tomorrow and all this money that I spent on the wedding won't be there when we need to pay our mortgage.

But at the end of the day, it's my fiance who reminds me that we only have one wedding day. We're paying for it with cash and we're staying within our budget. We can't predict anything, but we can act conscienciously and keep our fingers crossed.