Friday, November 14, 2008

At the Movies

This week, I did some serious movie catch up. Wednesday night, I curled up in sweats and watched Katherine Heigl drive herself crazy as the world's perfect bridesmaid in 27 Dresses. Last night was Rachel Getting Married on the big screen, starring Anne Hathway as a recovering addict going to her sister's wedding. Needless to say, family tension ensues. Rachel Getting Married made me nauseous, literally. The filming was purposely wobbly, to give an aura of friction and unease. But I enjoyed both films, the light-hearted romantic comedy and the serious, stomach upsetting family drama. Since I got engaged, I've been especially interested to see marriage in the movies. Anything is possible. With unlimited budgets, fictional characters, and complete control over the weather, filmmakers can create any sort of wedding they choose. To me, it's pure entertainment. I don't watch these movies to take notes; I watch to see the fantasy unfold. And the behind-the-scenes preparations. Sure, I've been to my fair share of weddings, but I've never been so intimately involved in their planning. There's something satisfying about watching the brides, their families and their fiances tackle any prenumptial stress...and then somehow get through it and have a meaningful day. Sure, it is the movies, not real life, but this escape into fiction makes me more excited for reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course you must see Four Weddings and a Funeral and rent My Big Fat Greek Wedding and view it again even if you've already seen it. It's worth watching The Graduate for the wedding scene which comes at the end of the movie. Elaine!

I'm waiting for a GLBT wedding movie. Anyone know of any? Although with several states voting to ban gay marriage on November 4, seems likes we're more likely to see gay marriages on the big screen than in real life. I'm proud to live in Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal.