Saturday, November 29, 2008

In Limbo

On Thursday, Dan and I and 16 of my closest relatives were carving our way through an enormous and tasty Thanksgiving meal, we all went around the table, saying what we were thankful for. It's an old tradition at our Thanksgiving. I had an easy thing to say this year: our engagement and upcoming wedding. I retold the story of the early morning proposal to my close relatives--most of whom had already heard how the event transpired but gracefully let me relive the glory. Looking back to moment we got engaged makes me happily nostalgic, and looking ahead to the wedding and married life fosters feelings of excitement and anticipation. But what about the present? The engagement, the in limbo period. It's our first Thanksgiving as fiances--and our last. It's a weird feeling--we're not quite married but are we really single? I found myself hesitating over that very question a few weeks ago, as I was filling out forms at the doctor's office. I know my life won't change too much immediately after we get hitched...I mean, we already live together and we'll still have our separate nights out on occasion post marriage. But there is some shedding, some chapters closing and others slowly emerging during this engagement era.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that guy looks really cool and has great colors