Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Want What You Have

I watch as the green leaves morph into their more colorful autumn shades of bright yellows and crimsoms. The crispness of the season intoxicates me. Maybe a fall wedding would have been a better choice? And even though I can't wait to wear my wedding dress, when I look through magazines, I can't help but think that maybe a different style would have suited me nicer. The grass is always a bit greener, precisely because it's not your grass. And while second guessing is second nature, it's not really productive. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that you like what you have and lust for what's missing. It's a real skill to admire someone else's idea or dress or venue or wedding cake without then looking disappointedly to your own decisions. On the other hand, criticizing other people's color schemes or dinner menus only to make yourself feel better is also counterproductive. All of this is human nature coupled with a competitive wedding industry that pins nuptial events against one another. As I watch the multi-colored leaves spiral down to the ground and dream of a fall wedding, I am guilty of it too. But then I think of the warm spring months, the feeling of rebirth as soft green buds grow on tree branches, and I know what I have is pretty darn good too!

No comments: