Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Lesson in Flexibility

For about five years, yoga was my go-to hobby. A vinyasa, or flow, yoga class had everything: a chance to relax my wandering mind, energize my body, separate myself from my day and my stares at a computer screen, and slowly feel myself easing slightly deeper into difficult stretches. In January, I took a plunge and registered for a 33-hour yoga teacher training course, which I loved. But then in April, as a lingering pain in my leg worsened, yoga became off-limits. No longer could I enjoy the quick down-ard dog to plank to cobra sequence, or the peaceful calm I felt after a strenuous class (Yes, in a previous life I have done PR for a yoga studio). And so until now, I've been pretty much away from the yoga class. But recently, because I've healed somewhat, I've now been allowed to go back to a very gentle class, with no flow but graceful poses nonetheless. I've now found softer, slower classes. There're different, but yoga is yoga. As I stretch my back in a bridge pose or relieve my hamstrings with my legs up the wall, I remembered how much I missed it. And sure enough, when I leave class now, I find that good ole natural yoga high again!

No comments: