Monday, January 12, 2009

The Artist's Way

As a child, I loved to draw and paint. A favorite picture of me is as a three-year old, with crayons of assorted colors placed between my toes, smiling happily. I took drawing and art classes until middle school, when academics, sports, and a burgeoning social life pushed art to the back burner a bit. I never really returned to art. In high school, I began to channel my creative energies into the written word, trying to build pictures and images with letters and sentences. And I DO love writing, obviously; I wouldn't be a writer by day and a blogger by night if I didn't. But as the wedding process gets more into the weeds--right now we just signed off on a cupcake vendor and are working with them to create a decorative dessert, we are revamping our Web site with additional words and images (check out the new and improved www.themonkeyswedding.com), and are in the midst of designing our wedding invitation. It's overwhelming at times, but really fun. I know that these details are not completely related to the marriage itself...having a multi-tiered cupcake spread doesn't ensure happily ever after. But it's fun to be artistic, to proverbially roll up your sleeves and get down and dirty making the wedding details pretty and uniquely your own.

No comments: