Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Attention for the No-Attention Queen

I really don't like all eyes on me. I've never been a huge fan of public speaking, although a college course did help out some. As the bride, I have to realize that everyone will be looking at my new husband and me as we walk down the aisle, stand under the chuppah, exchange wedding bands, and then dance the night away. The attention makes me nervous. What happens if I trip over my dress and everyone stares? Or, less damaging but more likely, my face turns a bright crimson, my eyes well up and my mascara blurs, and my legs shake uncontrollably. Thankfully there's waterproof make-up, but the other solutions are a little harder to find. Relax, stay calm, I'll have to think. Breathe. One friend told me that she had similar fears, but when she saw her finance walking down the aisle, things fell into place. And I guess I must ask the rhetorical 'What's wrong with a little emotion, anyway?' It is my wedding day, after all! But still, Dan and I have mostly eliminated some attention-grabbing moments, such as long first dances, big introductions, and a bouquet toss.
Personal nerves aside, a wedding is an inclusive event, where families and friends meet, mingle, and hopefully make strong bonds. I hope everyone at my wedding feels a bit of personal attention, whether it's in a conversation with a new friend or a slow dance with a lifelong spouse.

No comments: