Monday, July 28, 2008

WHAT? You're Doing That?

Judging is easy. And when something seems unfamiliar or strange, there is a guilty pleasure associated with criticizing it. A wedding could be the ultimate Judgment Day, people looking at your flowers, your dress, and the menu you choose and thinking "Oh, I would never choose this." These thoughts can be almost subconscious and hard to avoid. And while the judgment scares me a bit, I have come to some peace with it over the last two months. As long as the wedding reflects what Dan and I and a few other VIPs want, then it really doesn't matter what other people think. Of course, I HOPE people like it, but appeasing to everyone's taste is a tall order. But as a guest at many weddings in the next year or two, I'm really trying to incorporate this non-judgmental attitude. Knowing now how much time, work, and money goes into a wedding is making me think twice before criticizing someone else's effort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so look forward to your comments - its the first thing I look for in the morning when I get to work and when there is an email from the mindful bride I can't wait to read it. You have a real gift for putting things in perspective - keep going, I am addicted.