Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Peace on the Cushion

Last night I went to one of my first meditation classes. In the midst of Dupont's busy 17th St, I stayed still for 3o minutes or so, noticing my breath and my body. It was weird--at times my feet felt really cold, but the rest of my body was burning up. Not sure what to make of that--but that's the point exactly. Just notice, not analyze or judge or wonder. I've been thinking about meditating for a while. I practice yoga, which some could say is meditation on the mat. Meditation, it seemed, could be a way to deal with my everyday stress, coupled with the fact I am now planning a huge lifecycle event. It was hard. Thoughts about the wedding, work, what to eat for dinner, what to do over the weekend, even how to describe my meditation experience in my blog raced through my head. It's hard to meditate.

No comments: