Sunday, July 13, 2008

Learned Mindfulness

Today, in the scorching D.C. heat, I sat outside at Nationals game for three hours. And they lost! But it was still a fun time, the seats were great on the first row of the first base line. And even though I am not a huge baseball fan, I always am entranced by the cheering of a stadium crowd. As I watched the star athletes hit, catch, pitch, and run, a thought ran through my head: They are acting mindfully. As I saw an outfielder manage a grounder, I saw him pause a second. He was debating whether to go for the more difficult out at second base--thus, eliminating someone closer to scoring position--or the easier out at first. He chose the easy out, because in this case, it wasn't worth the risk of getting the out at second base. But I saw that even in a game where a runner can get to a base in a matter of seconds, the player took his time. No doubt he wasn't born with an innate ability to think for a second before deciding which play to make. Professional athletes spend years and years training, and probably within that time they learn to take a moment before making plays. They learn to scan the field, see the whole picture, weigh risks, and then make decisions. From my understanding, that's mindfulness. And it's learned. Not overnight. But over years. I don't have years to plan my wedding, but I do have 11 months to learn to plan it mindfully. And years later to have a mindful marriage and life

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Hey girl,
So I was reading the New Yorker and saw that Rebecca Mead, one of my fave New Yorker authors, has written a book called 'One Perfect Day: the Selling of the American Wedding' which sounds really interesting -- think I may get it used off of Amazon -- any interest in reading it when I am done? Sounds like she's writing about the crazy wedding industry and might be fun to know some behind-the-scenes stuff as you navigate these wedding waters ...

lovely to see you and Dan tonight, talk to you soon, xx Hannah

Anonymous said...

"The Selling of the American Wedding"...interesting title. This blog does make it seem like planning a wedding is made up of a series of shopping sprees...first he buys a ring, then you go "Rabbi Shopping", then she buys a dress, then he and she pick out china patterns. You'll be one mindful shopper by the time you're a bride!
Terrific that you are taking a meditation class. A vital lifelong practice..useful for beyond the wedding.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAN!!
Namaste, Helene