Friday, August 8, 2008

Oh, Where to Go?

So, here's a fun question: Where to honeymoon? (See my survey at right to actually answer this question). I realize it's a little premature, as we are still at the beginning at this wedding planning process. But we both are avid travelers, and the excitement of even thinking about travails in a far off land is intoxicating. Because we're planning to head off shortly after the big to-do, we're definitely building some R&R time into the honeymoon. But we'll both want to do some exploration too, whether it's sightseeing around a big city, or finding some ecotouristic adventures on the sea or in the mountains. I don't know how the "honeymoon" came to be, but I really like the idea of a couple adventuring together, alone, after tying the knot. Not only because I have an omnipresent travel bug, or because I may need to unwind after planning a wedding, but really because a honeymoon can, in a way, symbolize what a life-long commitment is: a journey together. A honeymoon also reminds me of the Jewish tradition where the bride and groom take 10 or 15 minutes after the ceremony to be alone. Just like these few postnuptial minutes, a honeymoon is a chance for the couple to spend some isolated time together, before celebrating life with everyone they hold dear!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday's NYT Travel Section's lead article was on Bolivia. I have the hard copy..let me know if you want me to send it to you. I know it's not on your list, but thought I'd bring it to your attention since you're considering South America. Perhaps a consideration in choosing a country is going with one that speaks a language that you've studied so you get a chance to use it with native-speakers.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit it...I had to look Mauritius on a map! Sounds exotic.

P.S. Did you change the title of your July 6 posting?

driftwood said...

Oh fun survey! I voted Turkey because it is definitely on my list of places to travel, but also because I think you will be able to find luxury, beauty, adventure, culture and hopefully some isolation. Plus, you could spend some of your wedding money on a nice Turkish rug (they won't let you leave the country without one!)

Unknown said...

Great choices. I voted for the leading destination right now. Save Maldives for another trip so we can go too! But I am guessing you don't want us on your honeymoon...

parkbench said...

Hey, just found this through facebook. I hear amazing things about romantic holidays in the Maldives, but I've been to Turkey and it was fantastic. The people are absolutely lovely, and if you have two and a half words of Turkish ('please' 'thank you' and 'delicious' would do) they think you're brilliant.

As for your Jewish tradition, they did that once upon a time in Italy and France, but a little old lady (wise and therefore untouchable by the sordid details) would hide in a nearby closet to WITNESS the marriage being consummated. She'd then come out and announce it to the guests, who would all celebrate. How scary is that?