Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Some Reading Material


Yesterday after work, I went somewhere I hadn't been in a while: the public library. Over the weekend I realized that I hadn't read a book since my vacation over a month ago. What can I say, I've been busy blogging (and working and wedding planning). Plus, I have a newfound obsession with sudoku. This craze began while relaxing on my said vacation in Belize, relaxing by the pool with pen in hand, thinking of what numbers will fit in which boxes. But even as I advanced from beginner to moderate sudoku puzzles, I began craving a good book to curl up with in bed. So I went to the library. One book I checked out was Rebecca Mead's One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding, which I opened last night. I was tempted to get another wedding related book, but decided to go with a novel instead. I need some balance. The Selling of the American Wedding is an exploration of why weddings have become such a commercial production...not the most cheerful reading for someone about to throw such an event. But she is a very talented writer, with great attention to detail and a crisp way of articulating her points. So I got into my bed early to read about the wedding industry. And even though the book doesn't have as much of that cozy feeling that a novel might, I found myself intrigued with learning more about this business (more blog posts will go into more detail later...I've only started the second chapter). One thing of note already: this is a business, with different retailers vying for your dollars. Sure, easy enough to realize. But another thing entirely to not be pushed by overeager salespeople. It's their job, their livelihood, but it's our choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a ridiculous business.

Just wait until the "baby business". That is neverending.