Thursday, August 14, 2008

Forget Perfect

According to Rebecca Mead, many brides aspire for the absolute perfect wedding day. Perfection is a stress-inducing word. What is perfection anyway? To amend an old adage, perfection is the eyes of the beholder. Every guest might have different expectations about what the ideal wedding could be. For some, a more classic approach is how to go. Others would have it no other way than a beachside wedding with 20 attendees. Learning to let go of everyone else's thoughts is one part of forgetting perfection. But my wedding may also not completely reflect my own idealized version of it. The appetizers may not be as plentiful or varied as I had envisioned, or the flowers may not be the exact shade I had in mind. The list could go on. Some of these are completely out of my control: my cross-country friend may not be able to catch a pricey flight, or my next-door neighbor could have a work emergency...and so they both can't make it. Other things--like the appetizers and flowers I mentioned--could be in my control, but as wedding day approaches, I realize I don't have the time, money, and energy to devote to each individual task and have to prioritize the more important ones. And maybe some main dish or dessert or whatever is perfect to me, but Dan wants a different option. So we compromise, meaning that neither of us has perfection, but we both have things we like a lot. Another abridged saying may be: Nothing's perfect, so why should your wedding be any different?

No comments: